5 Ways to Save Your Joints
There are many keys to keeping your joints healthy. This means making sure that your joints maintain their full range of motion while also limiting wear and tear on your joint tissues.
To defend your joints, it is beneficial to:
- Keep a healthy weight — Maintaining your weight is essential in living a healthy lifestyle. Stay motivated, appreciate your progress, and don’t get discouraged. Eating right and exercising will go a long way in the fight against joint disease.
- Embrace open communication — If you are suffering from joint arthritis, being open and honest with others about it will help you feel more supported and optimistic, and it will allow your loved ones to understand your restrictions and make accommodations for your benefit.
- Exercise — Light exercises, such as yoga and other range-of-motion exercises, will increase your fitness level as well as your cardiac health.
- Lift correctly — Using proper lifting techniques will strengthen your muscles and help prevent strains in your shoulders and knees. Bend your knees and keep your back straight when picking up heavy objects.
- Know your limits — Don’t overdo it. If you feel exhausted or tired during exercises or daily activities, take a break and rehydrate.
Whether you are looking to prevent joint diseases or living with them currently, following these useful tips will help you continue to do the things you love.
If you’re suffering from joint pain or would like additional information about how to protect your joints, call 704-865-0077 to consult with one of our joint replacement experts at Carolina Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Center or request an appointment online.